My husbands birthday is tomorrow (Happy Birthday John!) so I asked him what he’d like for dinner and he said that this soup is his favorite meal of everything I make so I thought I’d post it again — so delicious and healthy, enjoy!
From August 2014: Oh boy this soup is good! Seriously a new favorite and it doesn’t get much healthier than this! For the recipe follow the link below, I doubled it and it was plenty for my husband and I — I’d recommend cutting the red pepper flakes in half though unless you enjoy the heat!
Gather the following then click on the link below for the instructions:
- one tablespoon olive oil
- one cup sliced button mushrooms
- one and 1/2 cup chopped bok choy
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- four cups Pacific Foods mushroom broth
- 1/2 cup miso paste
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1/2 cup diced scallions
- one cup water
You’ll need a fun tool for this recipe — a spiral vegetable cutter. My mother-in-law got me a Veggetti for my birthday so I was all set.
Now let’s talk about the healthy aspects of this soup — it’s made with miso paste which is just about the healthiest food on the planet! The most octogenarians per capital live on the tiny island of Okinawa, Japan and they eat miso daily.
I found ten scientifically researched benefits of eating miso on Care2.com:
- Contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
- Stimulates the secretion of digestive fluids in the stomach.
- Restores beneficial probiotics to the intestines.
- Aids in the digestion and assimilation of other foods in the intestines.
- Is a good vegetable-quality source of B vitamins (especially B12).
- Strengthens the quality of blood and lymph fluid.
- Reduces risk for breast, prostate, lung, and colon cancers.
- Protects against radiation due to dipilocolonic acid, an alkaloid that chelates heavy metals and discharges them from the body.
- Strengthens the immune system and helps to lower LDL cholesterol.
- High in antioxidants that protects against free radicals.
Just typing this up is making me crave it again — gotta run to the market to get the ingredients!Leave A Comment »